35 years ago today: (from the Avenue News of October 13, 1983)
The last unit of Franklin Square Hospital’s building project was now open. The 22-bed service brought the new hospital’s capacity to 465 beds, making it the largest health care facility in Baltimore County.
Things started to get spooky as Cox’s Point Park became the home of a haunted exhibit called The Legend of Cox’s Point. The story of the wicked attraction follows a witch’s coven that was formed in Essex during the time of the Salem Witch trails.
Essex resident Ray A. Lloyd was honored with the Golden Apple Award for his 50 years of teaching and Turner Broadcasting visited his current school, Chase Elementary, to film a segment on him set to air later that year, the Middle River Middle School PTA held a conference called “Your Child and Drugs” in order to prevent drug problems in the younger generations, and for the fourth year in a row Baltimore County Public School students showed improvements in that year’s SATs.
20 years ago today: (from the Avenue News of October 15, 1998)
Tragedy struck the Chase community after three young lives were lost in a car crash on Eastern Ave. A car carrying the teenagers slid on the wet roads, crashing into several trees before bursting into flames. A makeshift memorial of teddy bears lined the section of Eastern Ave. where the accident occurred and Crisis Intervention teams and guidance counselors were available in schools to tend to students who were devastated by the loss.
A ground-breaking ceremony was held for the Dundee-Saltpeter Nature center, a 5,000 square foot reserve at Eastern Ave. and Marshy Point Rd. Officials said the new facility would feature an exhibition hall with nature displays and aquariums, a 100-seat lecture hall, and offices. The $2.7 million project was funded by the Department of Natural Resources and was expected to be completed in the spring of 2000.
Orems United Methodist Church of Essex celebrated 225 years in the community. Founded in 1733, the church had been located at several different locations, including the Orems Meeting House which was built in 1859 and was used for 99 years.
10 years ago today: (from the Avenue News of October 15, 2008)
A coalition of Middle River churches banned together to create the “We Care Renovation,” an effort to renovate a home together on Torque Way. A kick-off rally was held at the Victory Villa Baptist Church in order to garner support and inspire volunteers. Work on the house would be done on Oct. 22-24.
Four Kenwood alumni were entered into the school’s Hall of Fame. Inductees included Colonel Dennis J. Harron, a 1952 graduate who served the Army twice in Vietnam and in Saigon and 1960 graduate Carole A. Dorsch, MD. a well-known professor of biology.
The Heritage Society of Essex Middle celebrated its 40th anniversary with a picnic luncheon. Members celebrated the organization’s growth over the past four decades, looking back on how it started in the cafeteria of Essex Elementary School and became the comprehensive archive of Essex-Middle River history purely through the work of volunteers. The museum on the 500 block of Eastern Blvd. was designated a historical landmark in 1995.
Eastern Technical High School seniors Alfred Irungu and Jerome Lowe were designated NASP participants by the National Achievement Scholarship Program due to the high score they received on the SATs. The two students scored in the top 4% of more than 150,000 black Americans in the program.
The Baltimore Crossroads @95 hosted a 5k run in order to raise money for local outreach programs helping families in need and organizations such as the Essex-Middle River Chamber of Commerce, internationally known children’s book author Graeme Barnes visited and signed books at the Barnes & Noble store in White Marsh, and mother of 5 and long-time community advocate and volunteer Gladys Friedel was named the Perry Hall Citizen of the Year.