40 years ago today: (from the Avenue News of August 24, 1978)
Senior citizens belonging to the Essex Co-Op voted overwhelmingly to dedicate their new high-rise to Councilman Norman W. Laurenstein of Essex. Laurenstein had been a long-time advocate for the construction of the 12-story apartment complex which was expected to be completed by 1980.
The Department of Public Works of Baltimore County received location approval and $862,000 in federal funds for proposed improvements to the Marlyn Ave.-Eastern Blvd. intersection. The project would add an 11-foot wide left turn storage lane on North and South Marlyn plus one through the traffic lane at the south leg of the intersection. 70% of the project was to be funded by the federal government.
30 years ago today: (from the Avenue News of August 25, 1988)
The Essex/Middle River Civic Council hosted their 4th annual Awards Dinner where they honored the area’s best individuals, businesses, and civic groups. This year’s ceremony was focused and dedicated to all those working to restore the Chesapeake Bay.
Essex gymnasts Michele and Kristen Cole returned from a three-week “trip of a lifetime” in Austraila. The duo competed at the World Expo ‘88 as members of the Rebounders Gym Club.
The Essex-Middle River Chamber of Commerce and the Essex Development Corporation sponsored a Seafood Festival at Essex Community College that would bring all the best seafood Maryland had to offer to one venue, a new Miss Essex was set to be crowned at a competition at the Riverside Rd. V.F.W. hall, and the newly renovated Golden Ring Middle School celebrated its reopening with an open house.
20 years ago today: (from the Avenue News of August 27, 1998)
Kenwood High School began $8 million in construction projects and improvements right before students were preparing to go back to school. The school was given new windows and doors along with state-of-the-art stainless steel lavatories. Diane Goldian, the principal of Kenwood, said the aesthetic changes reflect a renaissance in the once-troubled school which had improved attendance and grades over the recent years.
The Allender Rd. bridge in White Marsh re-opened to traffic on August 13 after a three-and-a-half year closure. The bridge which connects Pulaski Highway to Philadelphia Rd. was completely redesigned and rebuilt, replacing its wooden structure which was built in 1941.
The Martin Blvd. School began its last school year in the original building. The building opened in 1927 as a four-room schoolroom which greatly expanded with three additions throughout the years to accomodate the growing community. An open house was planned for later that month to look back on and preserve the school’s history.
10 years ago today: (from the Avenue News of August 27, 2008)
Baltimore County’s newest school, Vincent Farm Elementary School on Ebenezer Rd. in White Marsh, officially opened for classes. The new school featured 32 classrooms across 90,132 square feet, which included a science lab and a TV studio, and had a capacity for 700. The students who attended the new school were formerly enrolled at Glenmar and Chapel Hill Elementary.
The White Marsh GM plant partnered with Governor Martin O’Malley to announce that it would add a 1.2-megawatt solar power installation to the roof of its transmission facility. The project would consist of over 8,700 individual solar panels across 300,000 square feet of roof space. Intended to be fully operational by the spring of 2009, the installation would generate 1.4 million kilowatts of renewable energy.
Baltimore County firefighters took to the streets to participate in the 12th annual ‘Fill the Boot’ fundraiser, the LifeBridge Church Band of Middle River performed for a crowd of over 500 people at Dundalk’s Concerts in the Park, and Conrad’s Ruth Villa was set to host “Sunset in the Park” an event featuring games, DJs, and Alfred Hitchcock movies played on a jumbo movie screen.