ESSEX — Students at Chesapeake High School were evacuated after a trash can was set on fire in the boys bathroom on Oct. 26. The fire, which was fueled by paper towels, was extinguished by a building service employee, and an “all clear” was later given by Baltimore County fire crews upon their arrival at the incident scene, according to a department official.

Fire crews used fans to assist in the venting of light smoke. No injuries were reported and no charges were sought regarding the incident, county officials said.

In a notice sent to parents and guardians, Chesapeake High School principal John Yore said that the incident is being investigated, and “appropriate disciplinary action” will be taken in accordance with the student handbook and policy.

“We were very proud of your children,” Yore said in the letter. “Although the situation was unusual, they exited the building quickly and quietly, just as we have practiced. This experience emphasized the importance of completing our drills on a regular basis for the safety of everyone.”

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.